Kitchen and Family Room: Painting

We have painted rooms before, three rooms, a bathroom and stripes in the hallway of our apartment to be exact. So I would say we are no strangers to painting. We are aware of the do's and don'ts.. the important Repair. Prepare. Paint. What we were strangers to is the repairing. All the previous walls we had painted were pretty much new. They came with the original contractors paint.. so repairing was not needed. Nor did we need separate primer.. the paint plus primer combo pretty much worked.

Step one, I took pictures of all the repair jobs on the walls.. thank god the family room area had been already taken care of by the contractor and we only had to deal with the kitchen part of the walls. We took the pictures to show to the Home Depot guy so that we were certain the products we were purchasing we correct.

The job required sanding the bumpy, uneven areas till they were smooth, filling in the holes with joint compound or spackle, waiting for it to dry and then re-sanding the area till smooth. The tear in the wall was fixed by applying a tape and then spackle and sanding till smooth. So day one was pretty much spent doing just that..



Day two started off with the sanding we were unable to finish, we were very tired by the end of day one.. we had worked almost 12 hours and then there was the taping to do before we started priming. After another 12ish hours of working we were finally done repairing and preparing..



By the time day three rolled around.. M had taken a day off to get this finished.. we had to drag our sore bodies out of bed.. but finally it was time to paint. I had brought home several paint chips.. we wanted something light, cool, minty, but not too green.. maybe an aqua but not to blue or grayish.. of all the rooms we have painted we have never felt the need to bring home paint samples.. we always just knew.. this time was much more difficult a choice.. we settled on two samples.. I painted them in different parts of the room. Where the sun hit them directly, and in a darker corner to get an idea of how the color would look at different times of the day.


And the winner.. I wish it had a prettier name.. Valspar's Blanket.


and a little sneak peak of what's to come..


Don't forget to enter to WIN an adorable red and white newborn knit hat for the baby in your life.

Get my post directly in you inbox with Bloglovin
I am now also offering ad space. See Sponsors for more information


Comments

  1. I just love the color you chose. It really brightens the room. That is a gorgeous fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12/16/2013

    looks great! I like the mint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful color. I think of it as sea foam pale.
    I feel better seeing D wearing a mask even though I'm confident you've taken caution with your condition and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks.. yes we all wore masks and D and I made a point to stay away from all the sanding and dust. Thanks for the concern :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, that looks like a lot of work, but the outcome is something you can be proud of! I can't wait to see how the fireplace comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The color is beautiful and the room looks gorgeous already. I hate painting, it's so much work, but it's worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks.. now that we're done and the pains have subsided.. it was worth it :)

      Delete
  6. The room looks divine!! Your little mr. tiny tot looks soo cute painting!! Simply adorable!

    ♥, Jo | www.STYLEAT30.com
    Fashion | Food | Travel

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a major job, especially at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that was a lot of repair work! You guys are champions! I love the color, and the room looks fantastic:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to see your garden!! That looks beautiful.

    I would be rubbish at painting. I'm really immature so I'd probably get drunk and end up painting a penis on my wall =(

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol..
      the garden has been looking especially lovely with all the snow. Will try to get a few shots to share.

      Delete
  10. Great blog!!!
    Would you like to follow each other via gfc bloglovin and g+?

    http://asweetwoorld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun doing it as a family!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The room looks great & I love that you put your little one to work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how it looks!!
    Good choise!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are one busy lady :)
    I love the brick wall, my all time beauty spot in the house. xx

    www.todaymyway.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh I'm so excited to see how you paint the brick!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love painting. and it looks like you've already done a lot of work, it looks great! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. love the color you chose. and that brick is going to look awesome!
    -- jackie @ jade and oak

    ReplyDelete
  18. How gorgeous! Can't wait to see the painted brick :)

    xo www.inventedromance.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love love love all the comments, every single one brings a smile to my face. Make sure you're not a no-reply blogger so I can write back!

Popular posts from this blog

Kitchen and Family Room: New Flooring

D's Amazing Race Party

Friday Photography